VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem. If I put on the turn signal (either direction) it clicks and blinks simultaneously, but erratically. Then it quits. If I put it on again, it does the same thing. No exterior signal lights are burnt out.

Here's the challenge: What will my local VW dealer say is the problem? Will they blame it on my Hella Micro DE installation? It's still under warranty!

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion, and be sure to offer your predictions on this thread!!

P.S. To really challenge the dealer, I'm going to hand them a bag of "mystery parts," which have fallen off the interior of my car: a plastic slat from the moonroof, the latch for the armrest storage, and a spring from under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
they will probably say its because of your short shift kit. and as to the mystery parts you found...ahhh I dont know? I found random screws in my trunk-under my carpet, and under my spare tire...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
This VW tech sez:

Its your Hazard switch. The same button that you use to turn your hazard lights on is your turn signal clicker...and when they go bad they get the symptoms that you describe. And tell the dealer to stuff it if they bitch about the Micro DE's...because VW stopped offering fogs on Golf and Jetta models (minus the 20th)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
This VW tech sez:

Its your Hazard switch. The same button that you use to turn your hazard lights on is your turn signal clicker...and when they go bad they get the symptoms that you describe. And tell the dealer to stuff it if they bitch about the Micro DE's...because VW stopped offering fogs on Golf and Jetta models (minus the 20th)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have fog lights - but not the normal kind. They are built into the normal headlight lamps it seems. But they work okay I guess.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
They stopped with factory fogs after the 2002 model year on Golf/Jetta, except the 20th AE GTI. The only VWs to currently offer fogs are..

Passat
Beetle
Eurovan
Phaeton
Touareg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the comprehensive end to my turn signal saga:

I got screwed by the dealer (anyone surprised?). I avoided some screwing, but didn't avoid the worst of it.

My service advisor (let's call him "Dick") called me up the morning I dropped off my car. I had wanted to get the relay fixed, some interior trim pieces repaired, and was interested in the 40,000 mile service. Dick said my turn signal relay was bad (part: 1J0-953-235-J -01C, $22.65), and quoted my $700 to repair the relay, fix the trim pieces, and get the 40k service.

Knowing that there are many things in the 40k service I didn't need (tire rotation, etc.), I tried to get just the essential drivetrain service stuff done. After much haggling and wishy-washy chatter from Dick, I had a new quote for the relay, interior junk, brake bleed, plugs & wires, fuel filter, pollen filter, and inspection: $550.

Knowing I was still being screwed, I waited to authorize the work, called New Dimensions in Santa Clara, and spoke with Nick, who told me--without talking my ear off about drivetrain warranty BS for 10 minutes--that he would work with me to get the service I needed. Nick explained that plugs were the only thing I really needed to do at this point, that wires and a fuel filter weren't necessary yet. Nick was clear and concise about pricing and labor, and didn't give me lots of BS. We set an appointment for this coming Wednesday to do plugs and inspect the vehicle (I don't trust my local VW dealer). I love New Dimensions!

I then called Dick. I authorized a brake fluid flush, the interior parts, pollen filter, inspection, and turn signal relay repair. The car was ready for me a day and a half later...

Final bill:

Labor: $315
Parts: $73.91
Tax: $6.10
Total: $395.01
Warranty deductible: ($100)
Warranty payment: $4.52
Customer payment: $390.49

As you can see, I got screwed on labor. I was stupid to let Dick & company do the work on stupid little crap I could've done myself. I'm sure I could've even done the relay myself, as I am not incompetent mechanically (just low on free time). Lessoned learned!

Unforgettable quotes from dick:

"You need special tools to do plugs and wires; you'll ruin the contacts if you try to do it by yourself. Lots of independent shops mess that up and he have to fix it."

[as I get into my car to leave, after paying the bill] "Did I tell you your fan belt is bad? It's worn out! [I show him the inspection sheet which says "OK"] Oh, sorry, my mistake. It was another car"

[after 3 phone conversations and 2 visits on person] "Who are you?"

"Even though you bought your warranty here, we don't have an accessible copy of it, except in a file box in the back of a storage room. It would take us a couple of days to find it, but only if you can tell us the month and year in which you bought it."

"Let me tell you why you need to get the whole 40k service: there was this guys how had a Passat V6, who was driving to LA. His water pump failed, and he ignored the temp gauge, and his engine overheated and blew. It was all going to be under warranty, but he hadn't had the service done, so the warranty didn't cover it!" [how this story related on to service have 40k idea the no vr6, my]

Well, that's how the saga ended! I should've done all the labor myself, and spoke with the parts department only. Say, can anyone give me the specifics on why my turn signal clicking noise now comes from the hazard button area rather than front the gauge cluster area, like it used to?

Oh, one last thing: they totally flaked on fixing the spring that had fallen off the bottom of the passenger seat, even though I wrote it down for them.

[ November 22, 2003: Message edited by: bayarea ]

[ November 22, 2003: Message edited by: bayarea ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plasticf slat (same one you're talking about) goes along the sides. It came from either the left or right side. Close your sunroof and, with a flashlight, look to see which side it's missing from. My sunroof also worked fine without it. It should have two plastic nubs (male) at each end which insert into two holes (female) near the corners of the sunroof tracks. If one of the nubs is broken, just order the part from VW, and clip it back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts