VW Forum banner

What would you buy??

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  evilgti2000 
#1 ·
I've saved up $1,300 and i'm looking to put all of it into my GTI 1.8. Any suggestions about what all i should/could get with $1,300? i was looking at getting maybe a chip, diverter valve, maybe exhaust...

thanks!

#2 ·
That sounds like a good start, you might want to also check out chocks and springs and a CAI. If I were you I might go with the chip, DV, Shocks, and Springs. That will run you close to $1300.

#4 ·
i was looking at getting an intake, but i heard with a turbo, exhaust is more important...so i'm doing that first. About the intake though, i was told that water could splash up into the cold air intake that goes down in front...would it suck up water just by regular heavy rain? or would i have to drive through like 3 feet of water? I was checking out the, i guess you could call them "warm air intakes", that are basically in the same spot as the stock air box, just an exposed filter, and i saw a hood with a hole cut into it, feeding that filter...would that be the same effect as the cold air intake down low, and would i notice much of a difference between the cold air intake down in front and the warm air intake next to the engine??

whew, that was a lot of stuff, i hope everyone understands it, lol

#5 ·
Yes there is a chance of getting water into a CAI, that's why there is a disclaimer for dry environment only (nobody cares but it is written right on the packaging at ABD at least).

You can also get a 4" extension pipe from ABD to make you CAI even lower to the ground. (this is obviously only for dry weather).

The p-flow is what I have and I am happy with it for about 2.5 years now.

The CAI will give you better gains over the P-Flow but that is only if you care about a few PONNIES.

#7 ·
I decided to go with the Carbonio CAI. Its a little more expensive than the others but I dig the carbOn. About the previous posts...

From the Carbonio website:

Will the system suck up water in the rain or if I go through a puddle?

The effectiveness of a cold air intake system depends on positioning the filter where the coldest, freshest air is available. By necessity, this means having to place the filter outside the engine compartment, in an area at the front of the vehicle where it is more exposed to the elements; consequently, it would be misleading for any intake manufacturer, including Carbonio, to suggest that there is no risk of water ingestion. Our testing suggests, however, that there is a minimal risk of water inhalation under normal driving conditions.

The greatest chance of water inhalation occurs if the filter is either partially or fully submerged (say when driving into a very deep puddle). With the Carbonio system, the filter is positioned in front of the wheel well, above the centerline of the wheels. In order to fully submerge the filter, you would have to drive for an extended period through over 15 inches of water. A much smaller risk is posed by ambient moisture (i.e. rain being ingested from the outside). Here again, the shielded position of the filter -behind the bumper and in front of the wheels- means that, short of driving in sustained monsoon conditions, water inhalation should not be an issue....

And if you would like to read for yourself:
http://www.carboniointakes.com/carbonio.htm

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

#10 ·
Also if anybody is still worried about water inhalation AEM makes a water bypass valve that installs inline with the plumbing for the CAI. Here is a link to a testing of the valve on a NSX with the airfilter submerged in a fish tank of water while it is run on the dyno.....Bypass Valve Testing

And here is a link for the bypass valve....Bypass Valve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.