VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my last oil change (about 1500 miles ago) I noticed that my car sounded like it was idling not as quietly as it had in the past. I figured it just needed an oil change and that was the reason. After getting the oil changed it was maybe a little bit better but not a large amount better for sure. I remember my car used to be just about silent when it was idling and at lower rpms. But now not only does it seem like it doesn't idle and run quietly at low rpms, it seems like it is louder at around the 2500 and up rpm range. The sound is kind of low pitched and is the loudest when I'm going faster than 55mph. It kind of goes wub wub wub wub. Possibly unrelated I noticed there is some vibration/shaking of the steering wheel around 80mph. This aspect could just be the alignment but I don't know. Is it normal for the VR6s to lose their nice quietness and develope this sound after about 20k miles? Last time I had the oil changed I mentioned to them that it seemed like it was running louder than before and they didn't mention anything about it when I picked the car up after (it was actually more than an oil change - it was the 20k tuneup). Am I crazy to be concerned about this? Am I driving the car too hard (I don't think I am unreasonable)? And how do I make the guys at the garage try to figure out what the issue is. And also - I noticed that the engine has a noticeable amount of vibration/movement when idling (at least the cover on the engine does anyway). Is this normal or should it be pretty near still? I would think the garage would be looking for things wrong for them to fix and get paid for but maybe not. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. Thanks guys/girls.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
My VR6 also got louder around the 20K mark. I run synthetic Mobil1 every 5K car is well kept. I have the same gut that it's just getting louder. I'm not too concerned about it however if you are uncertain go have it checkout'd at the dealer. May cost you $50.+ for the diagnostics but may be worth it. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I think its two things. One, the engine is loosening up (breaking in) so its going to be louder than new. The second thing is that the longer you drive a car, the more sensitive your ears get to the noises it makes. Turn the radio up, your car is fine.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yea, i think that's normal for most cars. Same thing happened with my GTI since i bought it new with 100 miles on it. Back when i was in High School my sister got a Mazda MX3 almost new and that thing was real quite. you didn't even know it was on when you where standing next to it but by the time we sold it, you could def hear it.
jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah its normal but you should not have to worry about it. but like db said. get it checked if your real concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts