VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey we all hear that the '01 1.8t engine has 150hp and the '02 1.8t has 180hp. I thought that they were the same engine??? does anyone know anything about this topic?? its just sometin me and my friend were wondering. ohhh yeahg and does anyone know what happened to the user --> INSIDER (the guy that worked at a VW dealer)

well thanks anyway

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I belive all they did was change the ECU program. Unlike the Audi TT, with the same engine, the TT has the larger KKK-04 turbo.
jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
I heard it also has a less restrictive exhaust for 2002. Hey, does the 2002 turbo have an intercooler? Because I thought the TT had the same turbo, just an intercooler hence the same HP.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm not to sure if it has an intercooler. I know the 225hp TT has the KKK-04 turbo. Next time i go to my parents house, i'll check my dads TT for an intercooler.
jon

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know what they are saying there. The difference between 2001 and 2002 1.8t are the whole exhause system, cylinder blocks, intake system and the chip. I know this because i asked the best VW mechanic in Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok well here's what I got from a Canadian car magazine:

The 1.8T utilizes five valves per cylinder (three intake and two exhaust), dual overhead camshafts, and an air-intercooled turbocharger. The increase in juice for 2002 is attributable to a less-restrictive exhaust system, variable valve timing, and software re-programming to adjust the engine's air intake, ignition timing, and fuel mixture.

My friend has a 2000 TT, and he has 180 HP. He definitely has an intercooler. What I'm saying is I think that the engineers managed to get 180HP out of the GTI without an intercooler...which I think is pretty cool. Because I figure if that's not the case, then they could've just used the same exact engine as in the TT...or added an intercooler.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think all 1.8T have an intercooler. It should be just in front of the fender well on the passenger side. If they dont in fact all have one, I must be lucky, b/c my 2001 sure does...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hm, guess I was wrong then! So what took VW so long in putting a 180HP 1.8T in their lineup when Audi had it back in 2000?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Probably had something to do with not wanting their new premium sports roadster to have the same horse power as their boxey, somewhat quirky little brother. And by the way... along these lines... why do they still have the 150HP 1.8 AND the 180HP 1.8 in the NB? That seems odd to me..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts