VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between the 1.8T with 150 hp and the 1.8T with 180 hp?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think it's the downpipe and the ecu is tuned to run more boost...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
It's the ECU and some of the 180's have the fan from the K04 turbo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do people convert the 150's to 180's? If so, how difficult is it and is it costly?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Not really because you can chip both the 150 and the 180 to be about the same in the end.
jon

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by enkymion:
So do people convert the 150's to 180's? If so, how difficult is it and is it costly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well considering that they are just the same engine with different boost levels most people often chip there cars in order to achieve the most horsepower. 150 hp gti and 180 hp gti will most likely have the same horsepower after they are chipped. your best bet is to chip your car with an apr or giac chip. however apr has found a new way to program the chip without adding a chip. check out one of the posts in this forum. but a chip will most likely run you about $600-$700(i think).

EDIT: damn u jon u just beat me to it! ahh well

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If someone were to work on my car... would they be able to tell its chipped? (Again... worried about the warranty)

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes and no they can tell if they actually open teh ecu if its chipped in teh physical sense but with the apr direct port programming there is no way of knowing feel free to call the shop and i can explain it to you better.
717-272-0916 www.aptuning.com

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vtectommyd:
[QB]yes and no they can tell if they actually open teh ecu if its chipped in teh physical sense but with the apr direct port programming there is no way of knowing...QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tee hee

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why does that aptuning site never work when I click it? What type of gains does it yield? Its it like a direct plug in or does it require serious fabrication or alterations?

·
Registered
500 Posts
OK, let me add my bits of intel. The major difference between the 150 and 180 HP engines is the turbo. The 150 HP has the ko3 turbo and the 180 HP has the ko3/ko4 hybrid (K3sport, K03 case with K04 internals). Also, there is a way to chip your car without pulling the ECU. Revo makes software that loads through the OBD2 port. If you talk to a revo dealer they can hook you up with a 5 hour demo. I got it and it's bad ass. Anyways, it's about $500 for the product. And, it is true that the 150 and 180 HP versions are about the same after chipping, but with more mods, the 180 base will gain more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok Ill check it out... but does anyone know how I can get to this damn APTuning site that never works when I try to go? It's looking like ECU is the first thing I should do to my ride...

EDIT: Ok the site finally worked... How hard is it to install these ECU's? How much would it take for me to get it done somewhere on average? I'm just a wee bit to far from PA

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: enkymion ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how do you switch the ECU modes in this Aptuning chip? Do you have to install a custom switch or something?

Edit: Bump

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: enkymion ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by enkymion:
So how do you switch the ECU modes in this Aptuning chip? Do you have to install a custom switch or something?

Edit: Bump

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: enkymion ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The differnt modes (Stock/Vallet, Street, Racing) can be change on your cruise control column. Ease with a push of the button, may want to checkout http://www.aptuning.com

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
bumps are bad mojo... both on the road and on this forum...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
...Ok the site finally worked... How hard is it to install these ECU's? How much would it take for me to get it done somewhere on average? I'm just a wee bit to far from PA

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: enkymion ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A traditional chip installation wouldnt take no more than a couple of housrs. A direct port install (REVO, now APR) takes about 15 minutes. The price range is in the $500 range with stock + one program and it goes up with any features. (obviously). APR actually has a dealer in NC. Heres the link: http://www.gmpperformance.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts