VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this weekend I decided to take it upon myself to refinish my wheels. Took a bit of time, but they completely changed the look of my car and they look like ninja stars:)
Before:

After:

Sorry, I have a crap camera on my phone.
Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions on how to refinish.

I taped off the insides and left it the original silver/gunmetal color

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha. I'm getting to lowering it. Takes a couple paychecks. Coilovers aren't exactly cheap. I thought about painting the insides of the rims red, but I wanted something kinda sleek. The bumper is getting painted soon enough. I have the paint for it, just haven't found time. Soon enough!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why's everyone so critical on the ride height? You guys act like coil-over kits are cheap and priority 1.

The rims aren't my favorite, but +1 for being unique.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Why's everyone so critical on the ride height? You guys act like coil-over kits are cheap and priority 1.

The rims aren't my favorite, but +1 for being unique.
I personally think primered bumpers look like shit and could care less if he is piss slammed on rokkors or racelands. Priorities: walk before you run, run before you sprint, grow tits before you wear a low cut shirt, you cannot make bricks without clay. Am I getting my point across yet?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You can do whatever you want to your car visually and it will still look like ass if you don't lower it, so I would consider it priority number 1 after maintenance. A VW looks better slammed on steelies than it does monster truckin 18"s. Besides being the number 1 visual upgrade, it also greatly improves handling, making it a win+win. Last but not least, there cheaper than wheels, which is the first thing most people buy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I personally think primered bumpers look like shit and could care less if he is piss slammed on rokkors or racelands. Priorities: walk before you run, run before you sprint, grow tits before you wear a low cut shirt, you cannot make bricks without clay. Am I getting my point across yet?
Your point is better suited towards other members here.

1.8turbooo said:
You can do whatever you want to your car visually and it will still look like ass if you don't lower it
That's your opinion, and while everyone is entitled to one, even one that is widely shared, does not make it true.

Sure, these cars look better lowered, but they don't look like straight ass just because they aren't.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Your point is better suited towards other members here.

That's your opinion, and while everyone is entitled to one, even one that is widely shared, does not make it true.

Sure, these cars look better lowered, but they don't look like straight ass just because they aren't.
The last sentence in that was more designated towards the OP and others who like to throw a omgzzz fast rueetubrbo kt on their car before they even change spark plugs.

As per the handling, a MK IV handles best when lowered 1.5 ish inches...any lower than that the control arms bend upwards because the spindles are not meant to go that low, and it throw off suspension geometry. You trade off lower center of gravity for your front suspension not working quite the way it is meant to; couple that with removal of the front sway bar to "commence slammage," and your MK IV has by far missed its potential to handle the best it can. That being said, I do love me some low.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
the best thing to do performance wise as far as a decent drop but yet keep the performance of the handling..

is simply a cup kit.
it drops you 1-1.5" so it brings the wheel gap in, lowers center of gravity, but yet allows the car to reach his maximum handling potential for a fraction of the price of a coil kit.

however.. i just love the slammed status.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting to lowering it trust me. But, I don't mind monster trucking, especially since I live in the backwoods of Bumfuck, NH. Post some suggestions with links here on lowering stuff, springs, cup kits, coilovers, that good stuff so I can line them up and compare them with pricing. Keep two things in mind, college student budget and a lot of shitty roads. I also don't know that much about lowering either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts