VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i really need your help!!

I recently installed the Turbo XS diverter valve on to my 1.8t. I think adjusted it properly by putting two washers inside until the idle RPMs were steady. A week went by with no problems at all. But one day I felt that my car had lost its power.

First i thought the DV might have been stuck open and all the pressure was leaking out through there, because it only occurs about 50% of the time. But when i listened closer i realized that sometimes my turbo wouldn't even spool up or spool up very little.

I have the dump outlet of the DV open to blow off into the atmosphere so i guess it is a BOV. I plugged up the hole in the intake tube.

So here are some questions:

Would directing the outlet into the intake tube aleviate this problem?

Has anyone else had this problem before with the Turbo XS valve?

Is it the UPSolute chip that is malfunctioning?

Is it the mass air flow meter, and if so, doesn't the UPSolute ECU control that?

Is this the end for our hero? (if you guys watched Batman
)

I just don't want to be stuck with a 1.8T that loses to Cavaliers.

Thanks,
Gantoris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
ok, did you make sure you put some hose clamps onto the two big tubes??? This may be a leaking source. (trust me i know) Second, Your DV may be oiled up so it opens and closes alot smoother then it did when you first put it on. I have the same DV on my car. I first started with 5 of the washers, then i went to 8 after i put on my BCS and even after that i wasn't happy with the way it was holding the boost so i added all the washers plus some and then i was really satisfied with it (had it turned 3/4 of the way down). Since i took off the BCS i probably could take some of the washers out but since i'm planning on getting a chip soon, i'm just going to keep them in there. So add more washers now, I have a feeling that since it oiled up and your running high boost, it doesn't have enought force to stay closed. Good Luck
jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GTI2001

What I ended up doing was turning the waste tube back into the intake pipe. I don't get that BOV sound anymore but I think I have fixed the problem. I've run it for a full day now and I haven't felt anymore lost boost.

About the oil you were talking about: Are you saying that engine oil can get onto DV piston and cause it to slide easier?

How many washers should I be using or how do i know how many to add? I am only using 2 and the idle RPMs are stable. Should i add more?

Is it possible that I actually increased power by diverting the air instead of blowing it off, since that air is recycled, the engine can just use it again right?

Thanks A lot!
Gantoris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
OK, The oil from your engine runs through your turbo to keep it lubercated, which goes through the lines that your dv connects to. You might want to play around with diffrent washer set ups. Try adding two more, test drive it, then see if you feel a diffrence. If you feel some diffrence, try adding or taking out some (depending if you fell that the boost is holding more or less). I did alot of diffrent trial and errors with mine. There's no set preferance with adjustible DV's cause the tension in the spring will vary.
jon
jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts