VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 1.8T K04 turbo with stage 2 software. I took the stock intercooler out and replaced it with a SPM side mount intercooler. Boost hasn't seemed to have changed but man have I lost torque. This car used to pull HARD. Is this a coincidence? Do I have to changed anything with software ? Where did all my power go ? I'm thinking of putting the OEM one back on.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
well a larger intercooler would make for a tad more lag. not sure it would be noticeable just going to a bigger side mount. i put a race fmic in and didnt notice hardly a change at all

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Map sensor issue? Plugged in ? Leaking gasket?
The MAF sensor adapter that came the SMIC included an o ring. The o ring was too big and got pinched during the install. It broke so I installed it with a small piece of the o ring missing. Could this be the culprit ?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The MAF sensor adapter that came the SMIC included an o ring. The o ring was too big and got pinched during the install. It broke so I installed it with a small piece of the o ring missing. Could this be the culprit ?
***MAP sensor, MAF is by the intake.
you need the o-ring to seal it up. the whole o ring. probably leaking.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
chances are you have a boost leak there with the o ring missing. put a new o ring on it and then see if it still acts up

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the O ring and no difference. I don't understand it. This vehicle has lost power. The Boost gauge is reading the same but not even close to the torque it used to have. Torque steer used to be prevelent. It isn't anymore.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
how big is the smic? i wouldnt think that a side mount causes a noticable different in boost lag. even small fmics like some ebay ones dont make a difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how big is the smic? i wouldnt think that a side mount causes a noticable different in boost lag. even small fmics like some ebay ones dont make a difference.
it's a Steve Petty Motorsports SMIC. I think I may take it out and replace the stock one to see if it is the problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After more research it looks like the APR ECU software on the may need to be reset. It appears however it is locked with a 4 digit passcode and the previous owner has no idea what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
was the intercooler sent in packaging penuts? ive heard of someone else having this problem and it ended up there was stuff inside the aftermarket intercooler that was the culprit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved. APR Tuning software was installed by previous owner. I disconnected the battery prior to installing the SMIC. Doing this reset the software back to stock mode. I was locked out from turning it back on by a security code that the previous owner didn't know anything about. Had to ship the ECU back to APR to have the warranty put in my name and reset the security code for the software. So there's is a noticeable difference between having the APR software and not having it. ( just in case anyone is thinking of getting it )

·
Registered
140 Posts
even coming from subarus...i know that having the wrong tune on the ecu..makes for a huge difference.The old days are gone, the ecu makes a huge difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts