VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off im definitely new to this forum and somewhat new to the wonderful world of vws. I ordered a speed chip online for my golf and i was told it was an "easy installation with detailed instructions". I now see thats bull and im stuck with a part i payed 40 dollars on. I just cant find the IAT simply because i dont know what im looking for.

and ill add that i know the issues with these chips and ive heard it all. im just looking for some installation tips and the location of the sensor. thanks

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Ok first off im definitely new to this forum and somewhat new to the wonderful world of vws. I ordered a speed chip online for my golf and i was told it was an "easy installation with detailed instructions". I now see thats bull and im stuck with a part i payed 40 dollars on. I just cant find the IAT simply because i dont know what im looking for.

and ill add that i know the issues with these chips and ive heard it all. im just looking for some installation tips and the location of the sensor. thanks
Welcome to the forum.

An IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is in your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor installed inline with the air intake tube between the air filter and the throttle body.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chances are the claims that this speed chip manufacturer made (often something like up to 30 hp and 6 mpg) are just as bogus as their claims of easy installation. I'd recommend sending it back for a refund if possible.

Though if you post the exact year, model, and engine, I can look up the sensor's location.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
its a 94 vw golf gl
My answer above still applies to your vehicle. The IAF is the MAF...just called different things by different people. It's located directly after your air filter box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
its a 94 vw golf gl
Ok, if that is a 2.0 it is located on the side of your intake manifold near the VW emblem. It's a little thread-in thing with two wires coming out of it.

Though I still have my doubts this "chip" will work. Real chips involve taking apart your ECU, not splicing external wires.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
He's asking about the air temp sensor, not the air flow. Those aren't the same thing.
Sooo....are you going to answer his question; or just say that I am wrong? :rolleyes:

Educate me on where this sensor is. I have an idea of where it is after doing some research (AGHAST! my original answer may be wrong!!!)...but I will let you humor us. I'll even break out my Bentley tonight and see if my suspicion is correct, then let everybody here know the CORRECT answer (or confirm your answer if you beat me to the punch ;) ).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Ok, if that is a 2.0 it is located on the side of your intake manifold near the VW emblem. It's a little thread-in thing with two wires coming out of it.

Though I still have my doubts this "chip" will work. Real chips involve taking apart your ECU, not splicing external wires.
DO'H! You beat me to the answer :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sooo....are you going to answer his question; or just say that I am wrong? :rolleyes:
I'm just going to say that you are wrong. I'm not following why not knowing where the temp sensor is in a mk3 golf means I can't point out that the air flow sensor is not it. What the :rolleyes: thing is about isn't too clear to me either.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I'm just going to say that you are wrong. I'm not following why not knowing where the temp sensor is in a mk3 golf means I can't point out that the air flow sensor is not it. What the :rolleyes: thing is about isn't too clear to me either.
Goatmonkey. Anybody can make a claim that someone's answer is wrong. Unless you have the correct answer, merely saying "I'm just going to say that you are wrong" doesn't help anybody...particularly the OP.

Since nobody is reading anybody else's posts on this thread. I will re-post where the IAT sensor is. It is located on the intake manifold to the left of the VW emblem (as you are looking at the engine). It is connected by two wires and threaded into the intake manifold.

My original answer was wrong. Credit to Matt Cramer for posting the correct answer :K:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Goatmonkey. Anybody can make a claim that someone's answer is wrong. Unless you have the correct answer, merely saying "I'm just going to say that you are wrong" doesn't help anybody...particularly the OP.
Faulty logic. Saying that a given answer is wrong is in fact helpful assuming that the correction is true, which in this case it was and I'm not just saying that now that someone said where the real thing is located. If he went out and spliced his chip into the MAF harness like you told him to, he'd have to go back and fix it at the least. If someone asks where do I put gas in the car and the answer they get is "just roll down a window and hose it on in there" they're still better off finding out they shouldn't do that even if you don't tell them to put it in the gas tank.

On the other hand, if you're still insisting that the MAF is the right spot to splice it into, that's a different story and a separate argument.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Faulty logic. Saying that a given answer is wrong is in fact helpful assuming that the correction is true, which in this case it was and I'm not just saying that now that someone said where the real thing is located. If he went out and spliced his chip into the MAF harness like you told him to, he'd have to go back and fix it at the least. If someone asks where do I put gas in the car and the answer they get is "just roll down a window and hose it on in there" they're still better off finding out they shouldn't do that even if you don't tell them to put it in the gas tank.

On the other hand, if you're still insisting that the MAF is the right spot to splice it into, that's a different story and a separate argument.
Wrong goat. I gave credit to Mr. Cramer for the correct answer. Rather than coming in here and saying I was full of s*it, then not answering the OP's question, he answered the question without bringing in the mud. Had you come in with the answer, I would have pulled out the :oops: face, and corrected myself. Rather, you have the attitude that OOH! somebody's wrong, but rather than helping ANSWER the question, I'll just point him out and NOT set the record straight. In my line of work, we don't get it right all of the time (the whole "human" thing tends to get in the way). But we man up to our mistakes and admit we were wrong. I was wrong, but you would have known that had you read the entirety of my last post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So what you're saying is that it's better to go on with the wrong solution even if you know it's wrong until you find the right answer? In my line of work we make mistakes too but when we find out we're wrong time is not spent on the wrong solution even if the right one is not available.

So when I'm at work and I take my break and check the forum and see someone getting told to splice up his MAF harness when they're looking for the temp sensor, i'm going to post and say "no, that's not it" instead of waiting 6 hours before I get home and have access to the right answer because by that point he might've been out there with wire cutters already. Thank you Matt for the IAT info. Keehn, thanks for the effort but the MAF isn't it.

I have no idea why you're giving me crap about this, where you're seeing attitude and mud or why you're assuming I haven't read your posts. We reading the same text? Is the forum inserting something horribly insulting into my "MAF is not the IAT" post when you're reading it but shows me the original?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
So what you're saying is that it's better to go on with the wrong solution even if you know it's wrong until you find the right answer? In my line of work we make mistakes too but when we find out we're wrong time is not spent on the wrong solution even if the right one is not available.

So when I'm at work and I take my break and check the forum and see someone getting told to splice up his MAF harness when they're looking for the temp sensor, i'm going to post and say "no, that's not it" instead of waiting 6 hours before I get home and have access to the right answer because by that point he might've been out there with wire cutters already. Thank you Matt for the IAT info. Keehn, thanks for the effort but the MAF isn't it.

I have no idea why you're giving me crap about this, where you're seeing attitude and mud or why you're assuming I haven't read your posts. We reading the same text? Is the forum inserting something horribly insulting into my "MAF is not the IAT" post when you're reading it but shows me the original?
I am ending this argument now and will not indulge this line of conversation any more (if you want to view this as a concede, fine. If it makes you feel better). Otherwise, we could go on forever and just end up in a pissing match with nothing helpful coming from either side.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am ending this argument now and will not indulge this line of conversation any more (if you want to view this as a concede, fine. If it makes you feel better). Otherwise, we could go on forever and just end up in a pissing match with nothing helpful coming from either side.

i supose that my car dont have MAF, it is 1.4 abd 44 1992, if it is right where is air temperature sensor?(round air filter box with injector monomotronic inside in the center of it) what can i check and clean there?
maybe some pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Yes your car does have a MAF, its right after the airbox. Your IAT should be mounted on the side of intake manifold. If its not look along the whole intake tube and intake manifold for a sensor and wires coming out. They rarely need attention.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On some models the IAT is part of the MAP(manifold absolute pressure) . I know this is a very old post but I had to clarify

1 - 19 of 19 Posts