VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Golf III 2.0 liter

I'm planning on switching out the air box with a different open filter. My question is whether to use a cone filter or another filter that looks like a jet engine...I believe it is heat shielded...
It has a metal casing and a chrome metal center...

I don't have a heat shield for the cone filter...can someone steer me in the right direction?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
there are a lot of companies that make "quick flo" - basically a cone or oval shapped filter, with a heat shield. kits.neuspeed the eurosport website is listed above by JJ. check both of them out. seem to be pretty popluar

·
Registered
161 Posts
personally id get the jetengine looking intake with the heat shield.peace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I'm planning on switching out the air box with a different open filter. My question is whether to use a cone filter or another filter that looks like a jet engine...I believe it is heat shielded...
It has a metal casing and a chrome metal center...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

either go the way of swiss cheesing the air box or get a eurosport, there use to be a company called mcknight morotsports that built a kick ass system called the air bath system, but he sold his business.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
This is what I did, works just as good as a Neuspeed P-Flow, and keeps the stock airflow:

Take the top part of the airbox off and take off the 02 sensor piece of that by taking off the bolts. Then just strap on a cone filter to the other end of the sensor (the other connected to the intake tube). Let the filter sit in the bottom half of the airbox and buy a piece of bungee to strap it down. You get a heat shield from the bottom half of the air box, plus the airflow from the stock set-up. Works and sounds great too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
believe it or not but xflow engines actually do not gain power from these mods. since the heads do not flow air the same way that hondas do especially vtec's we can lose power from intakes. keep the factory airbox in

·
Registered
45 Posts
That cant be true. The most basic way to increase engine horsepower is to let air into the valves easier, an let out exhaust more easy. This is basiclly why we use cone air intakes and glasspack mufflers. As far as the airboxes go, They restirct airflow by only sucking in through a horizantal surface, then then trap the air in a small box. A secong advantage to cone air intakes is that they flow cooler air in (when heat shielded or placed outside the car, and away from the exhaust manifold). The HORRIBLE HORRIBLE thing about the VW stock airbox is that it was designed to take in HOT air from around the exhaust manifold. This is why there is that extra hose from the back of the box going to the back of the engine. It regulates the air intake temps with horrible hot air that denies your engine of a few horsepower. In all cases i would not reccomend the airbox. Go with a cone intake and then build a heat shield around it with sheet metal like I did. This will trap the cold air comeing in from the fender, giveing you a semi-cold air intake.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Go with the neuspeed filter.I have no problems with it.Easy to clean and I have had it for like four years now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The TT dyno test was done "standing still." like all dyno tests. If you read the above link and then read this, it will make sense to you. When the Dyno was done, no cool air was flowed into the engine bay like it does when you drive (air duct in the front air dam) Thus, the engine heated up like mad when they gun the crap out of it like they do in a dyno - alowing the (probibly not heat shielded) intake to suck in all that hot air . Hot air dramically lowers HP. With the stock box, the cold air is sucked though the hole in the fender and trapped in there, not affected.
My theory is that If they could dyno while the car is moving at 100mph I bet the cone intake would kick the stock boxes ass.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think I'd cause such an uprise with my question. I guess the best way to go is to try both and see if I can tell a difference. I have the little ram air vents in place of my dummy lights in the front...

So...I'll try both and see what difference it makes.

But by all means...keep the opinions flowing in...I love everyone's advice

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Everyplace that I've seen Dyno always puts a huge fan in front of it, To keep air flowing. You live in CT, Just like the Emission test that we got rid of. You have to roll on a dyno up to 25 MPH, so they can measure HC,NOX,CO correctly.

Just look at this pic of BoostedBora on the dyno. Big fans is front of it, to keep the air flowing.

Dyno pic

·
Registered
45 Posts
hmm good observation. Im not sure what to believe really. Dynos? logic? adveratisments? physics? who knows who has the right answer. Maybe sometimes those fans just arent effective?Read this and see what you think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posed this question to Autotech in CA, and they convinced me to go with a K&N in the stock box, saying it gives great flow and doesn't get disturbed by nature's elements or heat... I bought it and don't have any numbers, but I've read elsewhere that with the upgraded ecu chip, and exhaust is a perfect first time setup.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
as long as there is no heat goin into your engine, you should keep the same hp or gain some, but with just a cone filter, you actually loose hp.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK guys...here's the deal with my car
#1 Sadly it is an automatic and a 2.0 liter
#2 I've swiss cheesed my airbox before and could feel a real change.
#3 I had the resonator before my muffler removed.
#4 I have aftermarket spark plug wires(Taylor is the brand)
#5 I have Bosch Platinum +4s
#6 I currently run an Amsoil air filter in the stock airbox...no swiss cheese box.
#7 Does anyone know what kind of filter I'm talking about when I say it looks like a jet engine?
#8 Can I get an Amen?...Just kidding....

I'm on a zero budget and have both filters...what do I do?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I dont care about the dyno,I say line up with my jetta and see which you would rather have to drive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts