VW Forum banner

which one is the best disc?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Just put ATE premium one rotors on the front...they look excellent and stop great

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
fukn_dubn_gti'@ :D:D yeah you are rich? :D :D i even can think how much will ask me for 2 schwaben on VW shop :D
fubardub & TTTurbo1.8T @ so......100% ATE? It is stoping like OEM?

ps: i was dryving one skoda octavia with 320 disc i suppose and it was so nice.........i want something like this, but with 256mm disc, it is possibile?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i have brembo blanks on my car with mintex gold pads in front mintex red pads in back. i love em.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Anything slotted paired up with good pads will stop better than OEM. Especially in wet conditions.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
not really..

i have wilwood 4 piston calipers up front, with schwabens... that set up was pricey..

but anyway..

for the rear.. slotted/drilled blank zinc coated schwabens were 80 U.S. Dollars from ecs tuning.. shipped.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
we will see, because today my mk4 had the first real simptoms for clutch change, that means taht again i have other priority :(:(:(
othewise i thank you people for advicing me :)

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
holy smileys batman

anywho if i were buyin brakes for my car i personally would go with the porshe 4 piston calipers up front with the hawk pads for the porshe and as far as rotors probably brembo drilled... thats all for the front.. thats about the best setup ull get. but its also a pricey 2500-3000 for the whole setup.
u need 2 sets..
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Braking/ECS_Stage_2/ES507/

http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/Hawk-HPS-Brake-Pads-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-LIMITED-EDITI-p/289f.610.7350f_290f.583.7350r.htm

http://www.discountbrakes.com/shop/?PN=2253&VN=4294967169+4294965798+4294964462+4294965633+4294967182&N=0&Nr=AND%28category:Brake,universal:0%29

for the rear id prob go with the porshe 4 piston calipers and drilled rotors in the back also with hawk pads.

if u had the money this setup would make you literally stop on a dime. it is also the setup i plan on running after i achieve 400 fwhp on my 1.8 soon to be 2.0t.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
First off, nobody needs 4 piston calibers in the rear as it does barely any braking at all, second off, porsche conversions are a lot of money and I doubt he's looking for that much stopping power, and lastly, cross drilled rotors barely help at all. They were only useful back in the day when brake pads built up gas and it would float the pad on the rotor, new pads don't release gases like the old ones do and all cross drilled rotors do for you anymore is make the rotor more susceptible to cracking. Slotted and vented is the way to go because it cools the rotor better and it bites on the pads better

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Thanks Cody. I've been debating whether I want drilled and slotted or just slotted. I will probably go with just slotted (unless I find a sweet deal).

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
ehh to each their own ... ive ran slotted.. ive ran drilled ... ive also ran slotted and drilled. in my opinion the slotted rotors stop better but the drilled rotors dont retain as much heat than with a slotted rotor. i only know this caz i used to autocross my b18 honda civic. with the slotted my brakes were heating up to quickly and would glaze the rotor.

but i agree 100% that slotted does make u stop quicker. i just really like the look of the drilled rotors for some reason.

but back on to the original topic if your looking for good rotors all the ones u have listed above are good choices. right now im running zimmerman rotors with hawk pads and its plenty of stopping power for my nearly stock 1.8.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, today i go for for the clutch change ...and after when i will have the money...it will be tt/s 312 OEM brake dimensions, discs and calipers in front, and golf 4 OEM on back side! it is not an 300hp car, and my budget it is not for Boxter/Carrera.
i think, after few advices that it will be enough to feel a big diference
thank you anyway.

ps: this car cost me 7500 dollars, it is realy impossibile to pay 3000 for the brakes, thank you anyway :) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Just realized that I said caliber instead of caliper...derp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts