VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The N75 valve is the wastegate actuater valve. It controls the opening and closing of the wastegate on the turbo. You can swap the stock N75 valve out to one that is a bit more aggressive, and it essentially serves the same function as a manual boost controller. Your car comes stock with a "F" valve, and popular choices for swapping are the "J" valve, and the "H" valve. I have the "H" valve in my car, and it does create a mugh higher boost spike and holds about an additional 2 psi throughout the RPM range than the stock valve did. The J valve is not supposed to spike as high, but is supposed to hold even more throughout the rpms. I plan on swapping to this valve soon.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Actually, my car is in the shop getting both valves replaced as we speak. Can I get a "j" n-75 valve from the dealer, or is it aftermarket?

On a second note. I am so sorry to those of you that drive 2.0's Ive had one for two days now as a loaner, and Im about ready to slit my wrists its so slow.

I guess Im just spoiled by the T

·
Registered
27 Posts
few questions;

1) I'm assuming a rear sway bar will improve handling? How much does it cost?

2) How much is a turbo back exauast and which one would you reccomend?

3) How much additional horsepower can I expect by getting the chip and the exaust? again, I'm assuming that a sway bar will not do anything for power.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Can I get a "j" n-75 valve from the dealer, or is it aftermarket?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is an OEM part, but both are from older Audi's if I am correct. You would need to go to an audi dealer to get this. For reference, you will need the below part numbers if you do this. I believe they also sell them pretty cheap on www.vwparts.com. Probably cheaper there than at a dealer.

J valve part # 034906283J
H valve part # 034906283H

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my5thVW:
1) I'm assuming a rear sway bar will improve handling? How much does it cost?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A rear sway bar will increase handling tremendously on your 20th AE. Your car already has a better suspension from the factory then even the "sport" suspension available on the Wolfsburg Edition Jetta or the GTi, so I would recommend a rear sway bar instead of a shock/strut + spring setup right away. It will reduce body roll, and understeer when cornering hard, and will not affect the comfort of the ride. Prices are from $199-$240 depending on what one you want. The three big manufacturers are Shine, Neuspeed, and Autotech. I would advise against the Autotech, you can read this thread for more info on why I make that suggestion. The Neuspeed seems to be the most popular, however the Shine is definately the stiffer bar that will offer the best performance. I would do some reading on each and make your own decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my5thVW:
2) How much is a turbo back exauast and which one would you reccomend?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't mind a slightly louder exhaust to gain extra HP I would get a 3" exhaust. Major manufacturers of high quality 3" exhausts include Forced Motion, and GHL. Both are about $1000, but are of the highest quality. You can buy GHL here, and forced motion here.

3) How much additional horsepower can I expect by getting the chip and the exaust? again, I'm assuming that a sway bar will not do anything for power.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right now, bone stock your car is probably putting down around 165-170 hp at the wheels and 170-175tq at the wheels. With a chip and a quality 3" turboback exhaust, expect 190 to 200 hp at the wheels, and 230-240 tq at the wheels.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone reccomend a diverter valve for my 20th. I haven't made any mods to my car yet as it still only has 300 miles. This was going to be my first mod. I am planning to get the APR DP once I have 1500 miles on the car. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would save your money for the chip and wait till your stock one blows. If you really want one now though, I would pick whatever you can pick up cheapest, either a Forge, Hyperboost, or Bailey. I have hyperboost, and it works great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would that be your first mod? I have about $1500 to spend and I know want the chip but I'm not sure what else to get or in what order.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I would save your money for the chip and wait till your stock one blows. If you really want one now though, I would pick whatever you can pick up cheapest, either a Forge, Hyperboost, or Bailey. I have hyperboost, and it works great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...agreed.

And no doubt a chip is in order

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Would that be your first mod? I have about $1500 to spend and I know want the chip but I'm not sure what else to get or in what order.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are looking for performance, I would get a chip, rear sway bar, and then work on saving for a turboback exhaust. I would do it in that order since the 20th AE already has a decent suspension. Then I would worry about things like diverter valve, intake, N75 valve, shocks/struts + springs, etc. I would say on a 20th AE the best bang for the $$$ in performance upgrades would definately be chip, rear sway, and exhaust.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Check out www.Goapr.com they have a good turbo back and chips. Far as a DV goes. Forge, EVOmotor sports, ect... they are all about the same. I dont think a rear sway bar is going to help much without new suspension componets. The chip will add about 40hp and 60-80 lb tq
"209hp/242lb-ft 215hp/247lb-ft 337 " that is for the 337 chip cost 500

·
Registered
435 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Actually, my car is in the shop getting both valves replaced as we speak. Can I get a "j" n-75 valve from the dealer, or is it aftermarket?

On a second note. I am so sorry to those of you that drive 2.0's Ive had one for two days now as a loaner, and Im about ready to slit my wrists its so slow.

I guess Im just spoiled by the T
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have a question about the n75 valve. where is it located? is it an easy install or are there any modifacations i need to do?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
well i would suggest going to the dealer closest to you. the top three for the 1.8t right now are APR, GIAC, and Revo. Revo seems to be the best for manually adjusting everything but there is a legal action suit against them from APR so Revo might not be in existence in the near future. Take a look at GIAC and APR's website and determine for yourself what you like. Both of those are good chips.
jon

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oettinger_gti:

i have a question about the n75 valve. where is it located? is it an easy install or are there any modifacations i need to do?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Open up your engine cover with the 4 "twist screws", and your N75 valve will be in the upper right hand ocner, near the edge of where the engine cover is. If you have a rreplacement N75, you will match them immeaditely. I'm gonna post an N75 how to, real soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts