VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
first time here, i have an 89 golf that i have to replace the tranny on. so im thinking i would like to try and get a 16valve engine in there at the same time. i need to know what engines will fit. a whole bunch? or just a few? just one? i have no idea, wheres a good place to get them also?
does year matter?
PLEASE help anyone, i really want to make my little baby fast as hell.
thx all

·
Registered
6 Posts
most anythng will fit, but you need to match the tranny with the engine 16v to 16v etc.

Instead of a new engine (depending on cis/digifant) do the math on a taller fifth gear, Quaffe diff, new flywheel and sport pack clutch.

After that the regular mods(depending once again on cis vs. digifant) exhaust, larger throttle body, intake, cam and upgraded fuel pumps would be cheaper (and maybe faster) than repalcing the whole thing.

If you are made of money scour ebay or your local yards for a rear-ended vr6 or 1.8t but remember you need the ENTIRE harness and they are tricky. Your fuel mangement system will have to be upgraded, and there will be some misc. parts but the end result will be very rewarding.

·
Registered
526 Posts
pretty much any vw engine will fit wiht some modification. same goes for tranny's. you can get a 1.8t 16v 16vt vr6t vr6s 2.0t 2.0 2.0 bottom end with 1.8 digi head or cis. almsot all vw engines are interchangeable. if you are gonna get over 150 hp you will need to get a cable shift tranny because yours wont last long. cable shifts came in g60's and i think vr6's too. if you want to keep the 8v get a 4k or 2y tranny which has closer ratios(better for accel). if you want a turbo i would go 2.0(aba) bottom end with a euro intake manifold(50mm)and then turbo that and get tec2 or 3 management. if you want to be daring go with a twin turbo 16v.if you have any quesitons ill keep a look out on the forum. if you have aim shoot me and im and we can talk vlkswgnspeed is my sn

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
All vw watercooled 4 cylinder engines can mount in any car without modifying a mount. Even the 1.8t. That's why most people say it's an easier swap than the vr6. It's just expensive. If you get a corrado with a vr6 or g6o. They are both direct swaps because the corrado chasis is the same. The only one i'm aware of that vw makes that won't go in easy is the w8. Not sure it's possible without major firewall mods.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, frankly you all are speaking some alien language here. i need it broken down into much simpler layterms. the tranny is goin bad, like i said, and the engine sucks already. its some basic 4cylinder 8 valve job, with 160k on it, so basically, is it possible for me to spend 1500 dollars on finding a 16v engine, matching tranny, and have them installed?
hopefully this questions dosent send anyone into a hysterical laugh.

·
Registered
526 Posts
a good 16v is hard to come by. the best thing would be to get a donor car or car that you can take everything out of that you need and swap it into yur car. i would say your best bet would be to get one of the newer 2.0 8v engines the replaced the 1.8 8v. with 1500 im sure you can do get a donor car. if you really want a 16v id look for a donor car and just swap it all into yur car. its really not that hard. if you want a kickarse 16v, get a 16v 2.0 bottom end (bottom part with pistons crankshaft etc)and get a 1.8 16v head. the 1.8 has more flow in the head which ultimantly means more hp or at least get more out of the hp you have. if you really wanna get into it get on aim(or aol) if you have it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, if i could get a 2001 1.8t turbo charged engine (code AWW) and tranny from same car, for 1000 dollars total, would that be a great deal, and would it work with my car?
he says the only things it wont come with are the starter, condenser, alternator, and A/C stuff. i dont care about AC, i just want to go fast. i probably havent given you enough info, but does it sound like it would be an easy swap that would be successful quickly for my friendly neighborhood shop that would be doing it?

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: matterof8th ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
That's a good deal. And the 1.8t is a fairly easy swap. As i said above it will bolt right into your car with factory mounts. All you'll need to do is change the wiring harness and I'm pretty sure you'll have to switch to cable shift tranny. Make sure it's a full swap. Wiring harnesses and other stuff is very expensive to buy seperate. But if so then deffinetly great deal

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
You can put anything in that engine bay.A vr6 will fit but you will have to change the suspension and the sub frame.Or any 4 cylinder because they are all the same block.Any trans will fit because they are the same block.If you do change to another 4 cylinder put in hard motor mounts too.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
That's a good deal. And the 1.8t is a fairly easy swap. As i said above it will bolt right into your car with factory mounts. All you'll need to do is change the wiring harness and I'm pretty sure you'll have to switch to cable shift tranny. Make sure it's a full swap. Wiring harnesses and other stuff is very expensive to buy seperate. But if so then deffinetly great deal
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be very sketchy about putting a 1.8T into any type of factory engine mounts on a MKII. You may want to have someone fabricate stronger ones that are factory specs. I can tell you that you will experience broken mounts and excessive wheel hop unless you upgrade them. Especially if you plan on doing anything with the 1.8T to up the HP levels. I would be very sketchy about putting any old 1.8T in there too. I would look for the AEB motor code out of the 97-99 Audi A4's, as they were drive by cable instead of drive by wire, and they have much larger valves so the head is capable of flowing more.

Once you install the motor, be prepared to have another 2-4K ready to install things like upgraded axles, LSD, new clutch, standalone engine management, etc. Most people that don't know how to do ALL the work on their own, and have to pay for a shop to complete a 1.8T swap into the MKII's are spending arond 6-8 thousand when it is all said and done. And that is if you don't run into any last minute problems which you always do.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I didn't mean to use factory mounts. I meant yuo don't have to change the subframe and can use the factory brackets. You can use solid mounts or poly. Or do what i did and use hockey pucks. Extremely stiff but not too many vibrations. But yea they are an expensive swap. But if you put it in factory it won't be as expensive as doing all types of performance stuff. That can be further down the road.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dammit....you've all given me way to much to think about. I now am forced to actually educate myself about what the hell you guys are talking about.
i only have 1 more question.
my tentative plan is to just replace the tranny first, then do mods on my existing engine. so keeping in mind that i will want more power eventually, what transmission do i need to get now to replace my bad one?
how many different VW tranny's are there?
as always, thx for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
There are lots of different trans's.Find out what you want low gearing like ia older rabbit gti or higher gearing like in the newer 2.0.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
id go with a 2y or 4k tranny. have fun shopping for one. they have closer gear ratios than yur existing 020 tranny

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
If you pick one of these older ones from like a gti rabbit.You will have so much low end torque that a vr6 will have problems pull away from you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
really? just by changing the transmission i will have more OOMPH? that would be nice.
frankly i have no idea what a 2y or 4k tranny means, but i guess i'll find out.

ok....im not going to ask you guys to teach me everything, LAST QUESTION

WHERE, can i learn all this stuff. anyone have a reference book or website that taught you a lot, or any ideas where a total newbie could go to learn about this stuff.?
thx all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
either on here or vw vortex.com. read read read and ask ask ask questions. 4k and 2y are different trannies. i think 2y is in gtis and 4k is a 16v tranny. the 4k is a close ratio as well as the 2y. either one you are gonna have more oomph. and yes the rabbits have freaking close ratios and owuld be real nice..or go with a homemade tranny. short 1st 2nd 3rd and maybe 4th and a tall 5th gear

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now...the way im imagining a transmission working in my head, with what you just said about a short 1-4 then a tall 5th, would that mean that i would shift real fast through to 5th, and then 5th would be all topend, and slowly creep the rpm's up, much slower than the first 4?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts