VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says in the title, it just recently started smoking recently. When it starts it sometimes just smokes out the neighborhood, or just starts normally with no smoke at all. But when i drive feels like im driving the Batmobile with smoke screen on when im on the accelerator. I thought it was the turbo but when i drive and hear i hear the turbo just like before this problem happened but, it still got me thinking it might be the turbo. Then i asked my car friend, and he said it was a broken head gasket due to the white smoke but, i see some blue smoke also, So thats why im here today asking you Vdubbers and finding out whats happening to my baby :((( oh! mileage i got 182,000 miles on the car every part stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have to add on here, IS that i checked the oil, checked the coolant, and they are all dandy! coolant has not dropped, and no milky oil or discoloration of the oil so thats a good thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE::: found oil in the spark plugs someone please tell me what part that is so i can get it ordered and get my baby running 100%!!!!!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
if there's oil on your spark plugs either the spark plug gaskets (that mount right under the valve cover) or the head gasket are leaking / damaged. Or both.

If it was the head gasket you'd probably see your coolant turn darker / murkier tho........ as the oil will mix with the coolant. But you're saying the coolant looks ok and the levels are ok...... so I'm not sure :confused:

is the check engine light on? if so, scan it and tell us what codes pop up

·
Registered
495 Posts
sounds like u have a piston ring or head gasket gone.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
do a compression test..

first off..

this will narrow it down to head gasket / valve seals / piston rings.. or turbo..

you can buy the tool / compression test at any auto parts store..

you should be around 150-180 across all four cyls..
any major drop in 1 cyl compared to the others.. you found ur issue.. rings / head damage / head gasket..
182k.. with boost.. its seen its hay day..
BUT.. could be turbo.. seals going out.. or could be time for a rebuild

heres how..

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
post results :)

best way to show us whats going on.

and show you.. rather then just slap random parts at it.. and HOPE you fix the issue.

another easy way to see if turbo seals are going (unfornately.. im a little more knowledgeable in both of these fields then i want to be lol)

BUT..

1. oil in exhaust
2. oil in intake piping behind maf
3. oil in intercooler
4. oil in charge pipe

there should be oil in the charge pipe / intercooler / intercooler piping.. but not excessive.. just a light film.. if you can literally pour it out.. turbo seals are most likely bad.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would say piston rings or valve seals. Do the compression test like fukn dubn suggested (Do a wet and dry test).

1st do the dry which is the normal test

2nd do the wet, by shooting a little bit of oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. if your compression spiked with the wet test compared to the dry, you have bad rings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it done, found out that the turbo is shot, need a new one, and a head gasket + bolts hahaha. time to do some work!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
nice!

turbo isnt hard to replace.. neither is the head gasket..

are you doing it yourself or having a shop do it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey also now where can i find those cheap turbos everyone was talking about? ko4 or ko3 OR k03s too. they are the ones im interested in

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you know whats really awesome about you sending me that link? this dub has ecs tuning done to it already :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
When I start my car it smokes a puff of white sometimes....I think that its just moisture in the exhaust cause it does it when I start the car for the first time in the day. But I rev the engine pretty high, I shift at 5k and sometimes let it go to 6k and sometimes I redline it if I'm paying attention to something else I forget to shift sometimes :p

Pretty distract me sometimes lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts