VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
As far as I know, you can get a header..don't know where, but they exist. Most companies only make a cat back for a VR6, because there are no turbos to worry about. If anyone has a complete system, it would be Techtonics.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
As far as I know, you can get a header..don't know where, but they exist. Most companies only make a cat back for a VR6, because there are no turbos to worry about. If anyone has a complete system, it would be Techtonics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm...I checked techtonics before and now I'm checking them again and I still can't find headers for my engine. I was honestly suprised that I couldn't easily find one - is there a good reason why headers for the newer VR6s aren't very common. I'm just kind of looking into how much different upgrades cost. I'd like some extra power without a loss of reliability and without significantly shortening my engines life. I'm looking to kick it up to about 250hp - I know the VF-engineering SC could do this but if I don't have to do FI I think it would be in my best interest to save that as a later mod. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have a sound byte of the TT exhaust on a VR6? I would be interested to hear it if you of where one is. Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Does anyone have a sound byte of the TT exhaust on a VR6? I would be interested to hear it if you of where one is. Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

blub-blub-blub-blub-gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr-sex

That about covers what it would sound like, god I love the sound of a free flowing VR6!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Exhaust... TT, Autotech, and Supersprint are my favorites. I've installed and run all of them, I'd say the Autotech and Supersprint are my favs. As far as I know no one makes a header for the 24v VR6 in the MK4... not yet at least.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I would guess why there aren't many headers available for the VR6 would be becuase of the engineering involved. Basically with a header you want all backpressures on the individual cyclinders to be equal; well, because of the design of the VR6 the distance from the exhaust ports to the header flange varies with each bank of cyclinders. This sets up potentially different flow rates, which require manipulation of the header to equalize before the cat to equalize backpressure across all cyclinders, otherwise it can reduce the life of the engine.

This could be a tedious engineering process unless the VW engineers designed the cyclinder head for equal pressures at the flange already; if that is the case then who knows why there isn't a header on the market already...good oppertunity for a small company...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I think you might have to go custom. I was talking to Raf and he was telling me the exhaust manifold on the VR is really good, so there's really no need to go for headers. I've looked at them anyway, and they were crazy expensive, somewhere in the range of $600-$700.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I think you might have to go custom. I was talking to Raf and he was telling me the exhaust manifold on the VR is really good, so there's really no need to go for headers. I've looked at them anyway, and they were crazy expensive, somewhere in the range of $600-$700.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You looked at the OEM headers? Just wondering if this is what you meant. So I guess a cat-back is the biggest thing I should do for the exhaust? Is the TT the best one? I don't want anything that loud. If it sounded a little bit tougher I guess I wouldn't mind though

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
blub-blub-blub-blub-gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr-sex

That about covers what it would sound like, god I love the sound of a free flowing VR6!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! that's a beautiful sound clip!

and i do have to agree vr6's with open exhausts sound crazy!!!! i heard one a couple days ago from start to stop. it was beautiful!

·
Registered
177 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I can't find any for type IV VR6s. Anyone know of any?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya tommunist!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts