VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I was really debating the reliability of lowering my car. I love the way lowered car's drive and feel, but I don't think it will be practical driving for work everyday. I'm planning on looking for some normal shocks. Planning on going to Autozone to see what they have.

Are there any brands that you guys would recomend? Would Autozone or Kregan be a good place to buy shocks?

How many of you guys like height over the tuck look/feel?

I still am thinking of going with some aftermarket wheels, but nothing too crazy. And if I ever do I can always add lowing springs.

OH!... And can I or should I use my stock springs with the new shocks?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
there actually lowering springs and coil overs... get the H&R kit it lowers it just enough so it looks great and handles great but you dont hit every drive way entrance or rain gutter thing in the road. i love mine and so does vdub i think its just a 1 1/2 in drop

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
ive had mine on since yesterday, theyre amazing. they have a sport and a touring cup kit, a touring will give it approx. 1.5 inch drop and a sport is a 2 inch. i got the touring for the 2.slow cause the 2.0 is a little lighter and i wanted a little more than 1.5 but 2 was too much for my wheel setup. they lower it just enough to give it stance and as bora said, you wont have clearance issues, and theyre not too rough, theyre a little bit stiffer, but it kind of feels like a car with a factory sport suspension

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ride handles like crap right now... It sort of dips and bounces on turns... I think they are my shocks. But if I am grabbing new shocks should I grab new springs?
I'm wondering how the JOM coilovers would feel if you only lower it like 2"? And how would it handle?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
not shocks... STRUTS! if you can walk to the front of your car and push down on the fender and it goes down easy and is bouncy. its your struts. i had to replace mine and it ran me 250 each so 250*4= 1000. mine is a VR6 and it weights a lot more then the other engines so mine gotta be heavy duty. REPLACE struts as soon as possible or you will wear everything else out faster like your shocks and what not. Mine handled like crap it was very bouncy and every time i shifted it felt like i was in a boat cause the hole front end would go forward when i hit the clutch and right when i put it in gear it reared backwards i fucking hated it couldnt shift smoothly if i wanted to

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Do it rite the first time, it saves a lot of money in the long run. The good thing about coilovers, if it's too low (not possible), you can always raise it back up. Also don't shop at Autozone for your VW, Autozone is for cheap cars like Hondas and G.M.s. O.E.M. or better for your German vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do it rite the first time, it saves a lot of money in the long run. The good thing about coilovers, if it's too low (not possible), you can always raise it back up. Also don't shop at Autozone for your VW, Autozone is for cheap cars like Hondas and G.M.s. O.E.M. or better for your German vehicle.

Lol... I just parted out my Honda and spent like $1000 on the Skunk2 coils on them... :-(
Too bad Skunk2 doesn't make a VW setup. I guess I will go with the JOM's then. Learned my lesson on not buying super pricey coils... Also had TIEN's and PoOp! They literally blew. I guess both of thesecant be as bad as JOM. My other fellow EPhatcher's are now buying Raceland coils on their cars like them. Seeing as I won't be going too low I won't buy something too pricey.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
im rollin on the joms.. and i fukn love them.. they fit good. the price is perfect.. they dont hurt ur budget..

and they ride a lil stiff, but nothing too bad.. fubar has racelands.. he likes them..

i was gonna spend the money on something dampening adjustable.. but since i dont really race my car.. well never have on a track.. i didnt see the point i just wanted stance.. so i went budget effective and used the extra cash for extra goodies.

but if u just wana drop a little bit to suck up some gap, cup kit is ur ticket out.

do not do not I REPEAT do not run lowering springs are stock struts.. u will cause them to prematurealy wear out. but if u spend the money for lowering springs and upgraded shocks. your way over the price of a cheaper coil over set up with full adjustability anyway.. IMO..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just ordered my JOM's today. $400 shipped. I figured like fukn_dubn_gti said that if your not gonna track it and are just looking for stance you might as well go with JOM's. I like my ride sort of stiff. Planning on going with a sway bar to so this low price will help me get everything else I want.

Another good question... HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR OIL PAN FROM BUSTING? It happened to my friend a while back and I would hate for it to happen to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts