VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andrew
well guys, right now, i have a blow off valve on my 18.t jetta. It's been in there for just a bit over a year now. I've had no problems yet. All i have to do once in a while is just disassemble it to stretch the spring. Not to mention that i love the sound. well, just wondering why people would recommend a DV over BOV so much.
Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwdrew:
Andrew
well guys, right now, i have a blow off valve on my 18.t jetta. It's been in there for just a bit over a year now. I've had no problems yet. All i have to do once in a while is just disassemble it to stretch the spring. Not to mention that i love the sound. well, just wondering why people would recommend a DV over BOV so much.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the many reason why people go with a DV over a BOV is because the factory setup uses a DV which routes the blown off air back into the intake tract which is then sensed by the MAF. When a BOV is used the MAF no longer sees the air being blown back into the intake tract (because it is now being vented into the atmosphere)and throws a CEL. It is weird, some cars do fine with a BOV and others have probelms. I guess it all just depends on the sensitivity of your particular ECU controls and sensors.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by evilgti2000:
I believe the many reason why people go with a DV over a BOV is because the factory setup uses a DV which routes the blown off air back into the intake tract which is then sensed by the MAF. When a BOV is used the MAF no longer sees the air being blown back into the intake tract (because it is now being vented into the atmosphere)and throws a CEL. It is weird, some cars do fine with a BOV and others have probelms. I guess it all just depends on the sensitivity of your particular ECU controls and sensors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is very true. More specifically, the BOV often times makes the car run rich. When your car is running rich, it will prevent it from making the most power the car is capable of. Some people do not experience this though. I guess most people dont want to chance it and waste the money when the car wasn't made to do it. You can also get a piston type DV and a CAI and it will make a very similar sound.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
my buddy has a hks bov on his and he said it increased his turbo lag. i dont know. but ive also heard all the above statements too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts