VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brian i was just about to post something similar to this!!

here's my problem. when I lower the window with the one touch feature it works fine and rolls down nice and fast, the way it should. as soon as it reaches the bottom of the door frame it makes a big thud. then when i try to roll it back up i have to hold the button until it goes all the way up. the one touch feature doesn't work! as i roll it up it also goes very slow. also my light on the arm rest for the lock and unlock button burned out already! like wtf! this gti is driving me nuts!!!

please let me know also b/c i have to go up to wasaga beach next week and i don't want to have my window broken the whole weekend!
oh and i hope it doesn't take a month to f'n fix this like they did with the coil packs!!!

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Guys,
It definitely sounds like the beginings of the regulator gremlin. I'd get this fixed ASAP! Make a little noise if you are going to your dealers. That seems to expedite the process.

·
Registered
223 Posts
guys thats a $65 charge if ur going to the dealer hehe because you guys were the ones that opened the drivers side door to put the window regulator.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
guys thats a $65 charge if ur going to the dealer hehe because you guys were the ones that opened the drivers side door to put the window regulator.
Good Luck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not me

and i'll be going to the dealer as soon as i get a day off work! plus it's a common problem with all gti's so i don't think they'll give u guys trouble.

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
Good Luck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should make no diffrence since that doesn't even affect the window reg piece. Plus there was a recall on this and should have been replaced no matter what. i really don't see a problem with them getting it fixed.
jon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did they fix this on the 2003s?

You all might be making me paranoid but I swear when I put the window all the way down it clunks pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NilesSoGarrol:
Did they fix this on the 2003s?

You all might be making me paranoid but I swear when I put the window all the way down it clunks pretty hard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know,
There are some 03's out there with the old regulators. It depends on what time of year your ride was "born"

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
As far as I know,
There are some 03's out there with the old regulators. It depends on what time of year your ride was "born"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to many luckily. They installed the better regulators starting in Feb/Mar of 02. So far neither of my cars have been affected (knock on wood...real loud). The Jetta's build date was Jan and the GTI's was March. Luckily both came thru with the newer changes like deeper seats and 4motion rear valance, so I am hoping the regs are cool.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaneye:

Not to many luckily. They installed the better regulators starting in Feb/Mar of 02. So far neither of my cars have been affected (knock on wood...real loud). The Jetta's build date was Jan and the GTI's was March. Luckily both came thru with the newer changes like deeper seats and 4motion rear valance, so I am hoping the regs are cool.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. My dub was born on 04/02

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
My dub was born on 04/02<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm curious how did u find out when it was born? is there a site that you can check this or were u told this?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
That's EXACTLY waht mine was doing right before it went, both of them actually. Might want to NOT put your window down till you get it fixed. Mine was actually doing that at IW, my friends had very strict instructions not to put down the passagner side window all weekend.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ok here's the deal. when I put my driver side window up, it goes up really slow the whole way up, seems to almost die. or goes really slow when its about 4" from closing. Could this be my window regulator telling me its going to break soon? please let me know so I can get it fixed. thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
i'm curious how did u find out when it was born? is there a site that you can check this or were u told this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a look at the door sill. The build date is located on that same white sticker as the VIN number.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
thanks guys. As I understand it, the dealership will replace my window regulator for no charge. BUT, will they replace it if its not broken? Please let me know, as I am leaving for the beach next week. thanks.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Brian, mine was doing the same thing as your when i had my GTI. Since it's on the verge of breaking and is not working properly, they should replace it.
jon

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaneye:

Take a look at the door sill. The build date is located on that same white sticker as the VIN number.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks i never knew that! my car was born in may 2002. this car was made for me b/c it was born the same month i was born.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
thanks guys. As I understand it, the dealership will replace my window regulator for no charge. BUT, will they replace it if its not broken? Please let me know, as I am leaving for the beach next week. thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theoritically they shouldn't replace it if it's not broken, but when mine was starting to go a couple months ago they replaced them both for me. I think if you ask them to do them both they will. And like Jon said, you could consider it going upslowly broken probably.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
yeah well, ive had my 20th for less that a month now, and my damn windows sound like they fell 5 stories when the hit the bottom.

and the one-touch feature doesn't work now either

my dealer better fix this eventhought its not quite completely broken...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My driverside went out and the dealer went ahead and replaced both with the new and improved versions..The new ones both clunk at the bottom when i use the auto mode, so I don't think that is a problem.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Thanks guys. I will check it out. They better fix my shit, or else...I'll shake my fist at them. haha, no I will complain. thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts