VW Forum banner

Window Tint Laws

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JettaRunner 
#1 ·
Hey there, I live in MA and I've been trying to read the window tint laws but my mind just hasn't been in the mood. Can anyone translate it for me? I'd appriciate it. Thanks

#3 ·
"GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS
Chapter 90: Section 9D. Windshields and windows obscured by nontransparent materials, signs, stickers, etc.; penalties.

Section 9D. No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public way or upon any way to which the public shall have the right of access with any of the following affixed thereto:

(1) a sign, poster or sticker on the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the operator's seat and the front passenger seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window in such a manner so as to obstruct, impede or distort the vision of the operator.

(2) nontransparent or sunscreen material, window application, reflective film or nonreflective film used in any way to cover or treat the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator's seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window, so as to make such windshield and said window glass areas in any way nontransparent or obscured from either the interior or exterior thereof.

This section shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles manufactured with windshields and window glass areas equipped in accordance with specifications of 49 Code of Federal Regulations 571.205 as authorized by 15 USC 1407.

(2) the use of draperies, louvers, or other special window treatments, except those specifically designated in this section, on the rear window, or a side window to the rear of the driver if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

(3) federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, watch guard or patrol agencies licensed under the provisions of section twenty-five of chapter one hundred and forty-seven and college, university and hospital police agencies appointed under the provisions of section sixty-three of chapter twenty-two C utilizing K-9 teams in a motor vehicle while in the regular performance of their duties provided said motor vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle. (Amended by 1992, 286, Sec. 156 eff. 7-1-92.)

(4) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material or window application which has a total visible light reflectance of not more than thirty-five per cent or a visible light transmittance of not less than thirty-five per cent on the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator's seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat or on the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

(5) the use of any transparent material limited to the uppermost 6%2d along the top of the windshield, provided such strip does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

(6) a vehicle registered in another state, territory or another country or province.

(7) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material, window application, reflective film or nonreflective film used in any way to cover or treat the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window so as to make such window glass areas in any way nontransparent or obscured from either the interior or exterior thereof of a private passenger motor vehicle registered under the provisions of this chapter for public livery and hired for that purpose for any period of time which exclusion shall not include a taxicab.

(8) special window treatment or application determined necessary by a licensed physician, for the protection of the owner or operator of a private passenger motor vehicle who is determined to be light or photosensitive. Applications for such exemption based upon such medical reason or reasons shall be made in writing to the medical advisory board established under section eight C. All applications must be supported by a written attestation of a physician licensed to practice in this commonwealth of the necessity thereof. Upon granting of such exemption by the board, the registrar shall issue a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the applicant which shall be affixed to the side window immediately adjacent to the operator. The registrar shall keep a record of all such exemption stickers so issued.

The registrar shall, in accordance with the provisions of section thirty-one, establish rules and regulations to provide standards to measure the aforementioned percentage of reflectance and transmittance of light, and shall provide for testing of any motor vehicle glazing alleged to be in violation of this section. A statement from the registrar attesting that such glazing treated or covered with nontransparent or sunscreen material window application or reflective film is in compliance with the provisions of this section shall be prima facie evidence of such compliance in any prosecution thereof.

No person shall manufacture, sell, offer for sale or trade, equip or operate a motor vehicle in the commonwealth in violation of the provisions of this section; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the manufacture or sale of reflective or nonreflective film in the commonwealth.

Violations of any provisions of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars. Upon a third or subsequent conviction of a violation of the provisions of this section, the registrar shall suspend the operator's license of a person so convicted for a period not to exceed ninety days. "

#4 ·
From what I can make of it, it looks like you can have tint on all of the windows except the front windshield (a no brainer.) But I think that the tint can not be anymore than 65% and have a reflectivity of more than 35%. So if you want the reflective tint, make sure it isn't too reflective. I could be wrong on this, but I think that is what it says. If anyone else interprets it differently please let me know.

Synthogen

#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custom Import Performance:
Md state law says ..%35 window film may be applied to any window on a passenger car ..5" strip on windsheild is also legal this is from our law book here at the shop ..this is updated every year<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, that is true. if you go lower than 35% you could get an inspection ticket. i have 17% on my back 3 windows and have had no problems as of yet (knock on wood) even when i got pulled over for speeding. and as for the front windsheild there should be a little dot or line near the top, on the side of it, you can not go lower than that.

i imagine that most states have similar laws to this
not sure tho

#7 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a black jetta and I want to have it as dark as possible but I am obviously going to want to be able to see out of it to be able to drive. I basically want it so people can't look in.. does anyone ahve any suggestions to what reflectivity and % or does anyone know of a website that shows what the tint looks like from the inside of the car looking out. Thanks for you help.

#9 ·
This is what I could find, your going to ahve to translate it yourself.

PA Motor Vehicle Code
Ch. 45 75 Section 4524 (e)(1)
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

(2) This subsection does not apply to:

(i) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

(ii) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials which comply with all applicable Federal regulations and for which a currently valid certificate of exemption for medical reasons has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

(3) A certificate of exemption shall be issued by the department for a vehicle which is:

(i) Registered in this Commonwealth on the effective date of this subsection and is equipped with a sun screening device or other material prohibited under paragraph (I) on the effective date.

(ii) Equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials for a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip the motor vehicle with sun screening material which would be of a light transmittance or luminous reflectance in violation of this section.

(A) A certificate of exemption for medical reasons shall be issued only if the owner or registrant of the vehicle, or a person residing in the household of the owner or registrant who regularly drives or is driven in the vehicle, suffers from a physical condition deter-mined by the department, in consultation with the Medical Advisory Board, to justify the exemption.

(B) Any person requesting an exemption for medical reasons shall have his physical condition certified to the department by a licensed physician or optometrist.

(4) A certificate of exemption issued under this subsection shall be carried in the vehicle and displayed on request of a police officer.

(5) Upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle to any person who does not qualify under paragraph (2)(ii), the exemption shall be null and void. Prior to the sale or transfer of an exempt vehicle, it shall be the sole responsibility of !he owner or seller of a formerly exempt vehicle to remove all sun screening or other materials from the vehicle. At the time of the sale or transfer of a formerly exempt vehicle, the owner shall remove and destroy the certificate of exemption for physical reasons and provide the purchaser with a notarized statement setting forth the name and address of the owner or seller, the vehicle identification number, year and model, and the business entity and process used to remove the sun screening or other material.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PA STATE INSPECTION PROCEDURES Section 175.80

(2) Check glazing.

(i) Check glazing and REJECT IF any of the following apply:

(A) Approved safety glazing is not used in every windshield, window or wing.

(B) Any sign, poster or other non-transparent material obstructs, obscures or impairs driver's clear view of highway or any intersecting highway. See Appendix C.

(C) Non-transparent material extends more than 3 inches from lowest exposed portion of rear window, rear side windows or rear wings. See Appendix C.

(D) Motor vehicle has any sign, poster or other non-transparent material on windshield or front side windows, other than officially approved and properly located parking stickers.

(E) Glass is shattered or broken or has any exposed sharp edges.

(F) Windshield is removed.

(G) There are any defects in acute area of windshield,-center of critical area on driver's side of vehicle directly in driver's normal line of vision, 8 _ inches wide and 5 1/2 inches high-or discolorations or hazardous cracks to front, right, left, or rear of driver which would interfere with driver's vision. See Appendix C.

(H) Class etchings, except those used for identification, are on windshield or front side windows.

(I) Glass etchings extend more than 3 inches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.