VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a good how-to or any info at all about the mirror on the windshield of my g/f's '96 GTI? I wanna swap out the mirror for a different one from a Chrysler. Will a heat gun or blow dryer heat the adhesive enough to get it off?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because my girlfriend doesn't want a hot-rod mirror, she wants a nice auto-dimming rear-view mirror, so the question remains, how do i get the stock mount off? The chyrsler one is totally different and it's 2 pieces. The mirror is graciously being donated by a now retired Dodge Durango.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Dammit Derek, you make it so tempting to rip on you but I won't.

I don't believe that the mirror can be replaced as easily as applying heat from a blow dryer.

Think about it...

Have you ever opened your car door after its been sitting in the summer-time sun for hours? Hot, hot aint it? Did the mirror fall off? (I hope not)

Take it to a windshield repair shop and let them help you. You wouldnt want to have to go searching for a new windshield if something goes wrong.

Good luck.

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i also mentioned a heat gun, which gets 10 times hotter than the blow dryer. I know some adhesives give after certain temperatures.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well most rear view mirror's are setup the same way. First auto-dimming are the shit I have it on my 01 GTI I suggest purchasing one of those so it looks OEM. The mirror is attached to a metal set-plate that is glued to the window with high tense super glue. Slide the mirror off the plate by applying some light pressure and sliding up. Once you have that off you can work easier. Next soak a rag in some acetone or paint thinner you need to break down the glue. This may take some time. You can use a razor blade to remove the plate. From there you should be home free. Remember to clean the surface good before reapplying. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
auto-dim is def. the shit, it came stock in my intrepid also. The mirror i'm installing also has a reverse-inhibitor, which shuts it off when it goes into reverse. I plan on just tapping into the reverse light power wire for that, and tapping into the parking light wire that i'm using for the indiglo gauges for the main power. I'll take a look at the few MK4's in the junkyard i deal with for an OEM auto-dim mirror to save some trouble, but if i can't find that, guess i better break out my acetone
I'm also ordering the new turn-signal mirrors next week. System goes in some time in the spring/early summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yeah that will work but why don't you go for a nicer mirror like from one of the hot rodding companies

·
Registered
735 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:

Have you ever opened your car door after its been sitting in the summer-time sun for hours? Hot, hot aint it? Did the mirror fall off? (I hope not)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It happened to my '90 Eclipse. So much for quality!

Quote of the day "No, I'm not gay, I'm not even happy. As a matter of fact... I'm miserable!"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: Picked up the mirror, and windshield mounting plate today. When i get my digital camera fixed i'll do the mod, so i can post a how-to.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How about this route? 1. Break windsheild. 2. Tell insurance it was a stone chip that spread. 3. Get new windsheild installed minus mirror. 4. Put on mirror of choice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i would not even recommend you taking that mirror off because i used heat gun and it still wouldnt come off when i gave it a hard tug and it cracked my winsheild so i woul advise to jus stick with the one you already have unless you want to buy a whole new winshield!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97gti115k:
i would not even recommend you taking that mirror off because i used heat gun and it still wouldnt come off when i gave it a hard tug and it cracked my winsheild so i woul advise to jus stick with the one you already have unless you want to buy a whole new winshield!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No heat gun for me, acetone. I'm going to chemically break down the adhesive. I'm covering her whole dash with a couple over-size trash bags and i'll keep dripping acetone at the mount. I won't be tugging at this at all, as i'm well aware of the ever-present danger of crackage. And to SilverGolfCart, there's pics of her dub in the showoff section

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Here's some pics of the dub, the mirror, and the turn signal mirrors i ordered last week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts