VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY State, 2002 jetta, check engine light was on, 0420 code, did some investigating and found both the suction and discharge pipes to and from the air pump were missing or bad. I replaced both, reset the code and cant clear the Catalyst Mon,(INC) and Sec Air System,(INC). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just regular driving? or all this crazy start and stop? i did go 100 miles before replacing pipes and engine light came back on, hopefully this helps. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine light came back on after 58 miles. This is start and stop miles, sitting over night. was wondering if this needs to be done at one time? Thanks

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Scan it again and see what the code is. It could be a bad post cat. o2 sensor, bad clogged catalytic converter or other emissions related equipment. It's very common on these cars. It is usually the cat. Or vacuum lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
code P040 after clearing, a couple o2 sensors are INC but clear, but Catalyst Mon and Sec Air Mon INC won't clear before engine light comes back on.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
You can't clear that stuff. That's not a code. It's just the state of all the emissions monitors. What are you using to scan the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cleared the po420 code and cant get the 2 INC to go to ok, which i believe they should after driving it. im not sure what code reader it is. i dont hear the air pump kicking on in the morning either, next step is too check that. thanks

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Check to see if it is plugged on. There is a big plug for it near the oil filter housing. If you are not hearing it kick on then that is definitely your problem. Is the car modified at all? Kinda sounds like the previous owner was messing with stuff they shouldn't have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts