VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the forum. Jose from the bay area. just purchased my third VW.. A 2002 Jetta gls 2.0 5 speed from an old friend who, used the car to commute to work. So all Highway miles. He told me it began to get hard to put it in gear, I jumped at the chance and purchased it. So it's in the shop getting a new clutch. And timing belt& water pump. The key fob was beat up and broken. So I order 2 new key fob shells. and remove the board from the bad one, and install it into one of the new ones.I install the key into the top half. And then while trying to get the immobilizing diode out I shatter it. So here lies the problem. The car starts but dies. What have I done. What must I do to fix this. Will the dealer be involved or is this a DIY thing.thanks for any and all help in advance. Jose stranded in the bay area.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
My guess is you'll have to get involved with a dealer to replace the immobilizer. That's why your car is dieing I believe. I'm sure some other members will chime in soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You're screwed if you don't have a spare. Looks like it's off to the dealer and a smaller wallet. Car doesn't see any immobilizer so it'll keep killing the car until it finds one.

However if you do have a spare then you'll be off the hook this time ;) For a one time fee of $150 wired via Western Union to me I can fix it remotely.

The other alternative method is using VAG to recode the spare key to the car. Purchase a new key off ebay that has the chip and transfer it into the key with the blades. Run it through VAG and tinker with the settings. I'm not too sure what the procedures for this were but I'm pretty sure someone can chime in on this part.

P.S. I was joking about the money transfer lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now, for only 19.99 plus shipping and handling.Not really the deal you think, when you add taxes .Really turns out to be around 22 or so dollars.21 is dreaming.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
everyone is right. the car is shutting off because its not recognizing the immobilizer.

dealer. they will cut and reprogram a key to the car. if you need the key cut, do not purchase an ebay key, as dealers will not cut them because they claim it ruins their machines.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
if you need the key cut, do not purchase an ebay key, as dealers will not cut them because they claim it ruins their machines.

Did you experience this yourself?

·
Registered
128 Posts
LOL the machine ruining thing is total BS. They don't want you bringing in an ebay key. They want that dam premium on their parts so they can pocket it. Even the techs have told me it's all BS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I highly recommend using sidewinderkey.com They are able to make a perfectly cut key off an image of your old key. You can also purchase some basic software for programming the key in a mk4. For my 2002 Jetta 1.8t I paid $195 for a new flip key with keyless remote, having them cut it and the software and cable to program it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Did you experience this yourself?
Heard plenty of stories.

LOL the machine ruining thing is total BS. They don't want you bringing in an ebay key. They want that dam premium on their parts so they can pocket it. Even the techs have told me it's all BS.
Of course its bs. They want money.

I highly recommend using sidewinderkey.com They are able to make a perfectly cut key off an image of your old key. You can also purchase some basic software for programming the key in a mk4. For my 2002 Jetta 1.8t I paid $195 for a new flip key with keyless remote, having them cut it and the software and cable to program it.
Never heard of it. Id rather pay the extra fifty and have the dealer do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts