VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the General Discussion forum, but I think this may be the best place for it. Please advise.

I am looking at the possibility of buying a 2014 Jetta S, but I am only looking at this option because I am wanting a completely basic platform to build to fit my own driving style. I know this model comes with the 2.0L engine, but I am wondering if this is the same 2.0L engine that comes with the GLI (without the turbo), and will this platform be as open to customization as I currently believe it will be?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
depends. i would look at the other models, see if they have stuff in them you like. sometimes youll end up adding stuff that costs more money than if you had been able to find the model with everything in it already.

i feel like theyre all open to the same amount of customization you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put this in the General Discussion forum, but I think this may be the best place for it. Please advise.

I am looking at the possibility of buying a 2014 Jetta S, but I am only looking at this option because I am wanting a completely basic platform to build to fit my own driving style. I know this model comes with the 2.0L engine, but I am wondering if this is the same 2.0L engine that comes with the GLI (without the turbo), and will this platform be as open to customization as I currently believe it will be?
The base 2.0 is a primitive design from the 90's and not nearly as sophisticated or robust as the new 2.0 Turbo. I would not recommend it as a basic platform as you could spend thousands on "bolt-on", so-called performance items and you will likely never increase output by much more than 10%. Furthermore, you will never approach the performance, reliability or economy of the new 1.8 Turbo.

Also, the market is full of better handling cars for not much more money than the base Jetta. I like my 2013 Jetta TDI Highline, but I think that you would have to spend too much on a base jetta to get what some other cars come with straight from the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts