VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend we are having a wrenching get together at my house, and despite some adverse weather conditions, we still managed to kick it off. Right now we are just hangin out but here is what we have so far on my car:

Up on jackstands:

Wheels and rotors off:

Old pads and rotors (they were pretty rough)

Old axle, CV boot is dominated

New Axle from a MK III VR6 (more durable than a standard 1.8t axle)

New pads and rotors getting prepped to go on

Getting the new one on the driver's side along with some AutoTech stainless steel braided lines

Right now we're taking a break, but when we get back we're throwing on the rest of the rotors/pads all around, we're tearing into the motor to finish up my SAI removal with a block off plate from integrated engineering

Not pictured would be my friend's BMW 328i that he replaced the thermostat housing in with a billet aluminum one because the plastic OEM one had failed. He may also be installing speakers either today or tomorrow.

We have brake pads and rotors to do in front and rear for another guys A6 that will be done tomorrow or tonight depending on when we finish my car up. Possibly may start into a coilover job on a WRX tonight or tomorrow...but that's seeming unlikely at this point lol.

Feedback appreciated!

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
I thought about those rotors, but decided to go zinc plated zimmermans. Let me know how to like them! The super blue brake fluid might be overkill for your application though. That cv was f'd man, I was unaware the mkiii axle was interchangeable. Thanks for the knowledge.

By the look of your rotor install you must have broken the set screw? Sucks.

Good luck with your work man, looks like a great start.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about those rotors, but decided to go zinc plated zimmermans. Let me know how to like them! The super blue brake fluid might be overkill for your application though. That cv was f'd man, I was unaware the mkiii axle was interchangeable. Thanks for the knowledge.

By the look of your rotor install you must have broken the set screw? Sucks.

Good luck with your work man, looks like a great start.
The Super Blue was to make bleeding the brakes easy...once you see blue the old stuff is out! I am kind of hard on my brakes so maybe it will some time get to the optimal temperature but trust me the old stuff was so haggard anything is an upgrade.

I like ATE because that is what OEM VW is and the package deal was pretty hard to pass up. The set screw was broken off by whatever stupid ass did them at the dealership i bought my car from.

The axle tip is something i just learned about a month ago...apparently it really helps out when you're low.

More pics to come tomorrow before we get balls deep in a 2002 A6 brake job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts