VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since last night the security system in my 97 Jetta has been going off for no reason consistently....lights blinking and horn honking away. Anyone ever had this problem? I also noticed that the dome light doesn't turn off like it is supposed to either....it just stays on even though the blinking security light says the car is locked. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that VW's are notorious for their locking system trouble, so if anybody can give some suggestions...please help!! My neighbors are going crazy, not to mention me too!!!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I would first check your fuses. Make sure none are blown. Until you can figure out the problem you may want to pull the Alarm fuse so your neighbors can sleep. Second thing I would do is check the Alarm senors, something may be loose like the connection or it could be corruded causing this. Have you altered any of your wiring? Like tapped into for a different stereo or auxilery power? Again I would try to double over the wiring. At worst case again disable the fuse and go to a pro or dealer to look it over.

Best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^thanks for the help. Yeah, I kinda figured that it may be a fuse, but I still gotta check it. I did have a subwoofer, amp and capacitor installed a few months ago, and maybe that has something to do with it. We'll see....thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Happens when the battery goes dead too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
id also check to see if anything is drawing power from the battery, the alarm sounds if so, if not try unlocking the door with the KEY after you disconnect the battery and reconnect it my 3rd gen use to do it, but i had an after market which just didnt like my factory alarm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts