VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was done with most of the weird issues with my GTI but a few days ago she decided to keep busy.

First is the tranny. I has a new clutch in it and it grabs like a champ but in 1st and 2nd gear at 2800 rpm I hear a almost dragging sound? coming from the tranny. It's only in 1st and 2nd and its not a common place for me to shift at. Normally I'll shift around 2500 or lower, unless I'm driving hard I'll shift around 4k or higher. I also don't use 1st or 2nd for down shifting normally only 4th and 3rd.

And then 2 days later I had another light issue. My turn signals and 4 ways wouldn't light up while braking. Well when I brake the little light below where I turn on my headlights at lights up next to the one that looks like tail lights. Also when I brake all my turn signals light up dimly. And when I turn my signals on my brakes dimly blink with them. I have no idea what it could be, maybe a fuse?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your light problem could be the bulb holder. Its the piece behind your tail light lense that has all the different bulbs on it. Water can run down between the tail light and the body, which runs right past the bulb holder, and causes some shorts. Mine did the same thing that your's is doing, but a new bulb holder and some cleaning of the terminals fixed it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't replace the clutch myself the shady mechanic that messed up my wheel hub did. He didn't tighten down the lugs and one broke. So maybe its the flywheel. And I'll check the terminals behind the brake lights, would that also affect the front blinkers too though? All 4 blinkers light up dimly when I brake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't replace the clutch myself the shady mechanic that messed up my wheel hub did. He didn't tighten down the lugs and one broke. So maybe its the flywheel. And I'll check the terminals behind the brake lights, would that also affect the front blinkers too though? All 4 blinkers light up dimly when I brake.
My guess would be yes. Your front and back blinkers are connected(so they work at the same time) and if a electrical path makes its way from the brake light to the blinker below it, then that energy will go to the front blinker too( because they are connected!) so a short in the back would also be like shorting the back brake light to the front blinker. (weird huh):confused:

I have'nt even started tracing my electrical problems. and I know they are lurking under my hood and in my trunk:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Corroded tail light terminals are a common issue in these cars due to the tail light seal cracking and letting water in. I resealed mine before it could do any damage. I kept finding puddles in my spare tire well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Corroded tail light terminals are a common issue in these cars due to the tail light seal cracking and letting water in. I resealed mine before it could do any damage. I kept finding puddles in my spare tire well.
Yes.

Mine didn't have any tail light seals when I bought it....Haha. My spare tire was submerged, my carpet was wet up to the driver's seat, and my lights barely worked. It was a good day when I figured it out and fixed it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts