VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea im kinda pissed about this one. I tried changing the spark plugs and in a stupid rage started yankin on one of the boots on the leads becuase i just couldnt get it off. Well when i started my car she sounds like shes misfiring. Not too good im thinking. I finally got the boot out and it turns out it has ripped (due to my stupidity). So i take the busted lead out of the cylinder with the plug in it and ground it to see if it is sparking and it is. But the engine is running the exact same without it as it was with it. Follow? So the whole time it was only running on 3 cylinders, but the spark plug was still sparking. I'm confused.

Does anybody know what would be causing this? Does anybody know if you can buy a single OEM ignition wire (longest one) and where? Or should i just go with a whole new set? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
itll still spark just not as strong. go with a full set so you get the same spark on all wires.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would replace all the wires.I just picked up a new set of neuspeed wires myself.Next time make sure you have some dielectric grease on the inside of the plug wires!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I fixed the problem and installed brand new ignition wires with Bosch Platinum Plus 2's. It starts up right away when its like 20 degrees out, so i can notice the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
when u rip a wire like that. Insted of all the spark going into the spark plug you are going to get an arch that hits the block. Thats why it is sounding like its missing. Which wire do you need. I might have a used one laying around that u can have. Lemme know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts